How to Become a Teacher in Nevada

According to the Nevada Department of Education, more than 22,500 teachers in 17 districts serve more than 437,000 students enrolled annually in Nevada’s 626 public schools. Teachers-to-be who want to earn a Nevada teaching license must satisfy the educational and certification requirements set forth by the Nevada Department of Education (NDE). Read on to find out what it takes to achieve Nevada teacher certification.

Education Requirements

Nevada’s Department of Education handles teacher certification and licensure for the state. The Office of Teacher Licensure issues certifications. Students must complete a state approved program to obtain a teaching license, which includes completion of a bachelor’s degree at a regionally accredited college or university, as well as an approved student teaching component. State specific testing is also required.

Nevada Teaching Certification

Nevada teaching certification is similar to many other states, but there are some specific state requirements. In addition to an accredited bachelor’s degree in an approved major and program, students must complete an approved student teaching program and pass several examinations on Nevada and federal law. More information about requirements can be fond at the Nevada Department of Education’s website. Current specific requirements can be found here.

Required Tests

All applicants for teacher certification in Nevada must pass the Praxis competency exam. Requirements can be found here. All prospective Nevada teachers must also complete approved coursework or pass approved exams in Nevada School Law, the Nevada Constitution, and the U.S. Constitution.

State Certification Reciprocity

Teachers who are licensed in states other than Nevada may apply for a reciprocal license through Nevada’s Department of Education. According to ETS.Org, the educational testing website that proctors competency exams nationwide, Nevada state teaching certifications are not reciprocal with Alaska, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, or most U.S. territories. Applicants for reciprocity should be sure to examine current requirements and contact appropriate officials when applying for licensure.

Helpful Resources